Everyone wants to be liked. Which makes caring what other people think totally normal. It’s also normal at times to choose to go along with the group just to keep the peace or avoid confrontations. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it makes sense to be agreeable especially if we’re talking about some little thing that really doesn’t matter all that much. But what if the issue does matter to you? Do you still do what they say when it’s not right for you? Do you go along with the crowd just so they’ll like you?
If this sounds familiar you might want to ask yourself, “Am I a sheeple?” In case that’s a new word for you, sheeple are people who act like sheep. They’re most comfortable when following other people’s rules of “acceptable” behavior (what to wear, what to think, etc.). The Golden Rule rule for Sheeple: “Thinking for yourself and being your own person is way too risky! Play it safe. Follow the others.”
Wonder if you’re a sheeple? Take this quiz and find out:
- If people think something is funny, I laugh even if I don’t get the joke. True or False?
- If everyone has seen a movie I haven’t seen, I’ll lie and say I saw it. T or F
- I hardly ever tell people how I really feel. T or F
- I try really hard not to make a fool of myself. T or F
- I’d do anything to be more popular. T or F
- I’ve dropped out of an activity I liked because my friends quit. T or F
- I worry if about people talking about me. T or F
- If someone makes fun of something I’m wearing, I won’t wear it again! T or F
- If my friends hate a TV show that I like, I pretend that I hate it too. T or F
- I’m never the first to give my opinion. T or F
If you got:
7-10 Ts: You have some strong sheepish tendencies that can prevent you from calling your own shots. You might want to cut loose from the herd every now and then, just to prove to yourself that you are still an individual. You are, aren’t you?
4-6 Ys: You sometimes find it challenging to stand up for yourself so you don’t push it very often. But sometimes you are your own person and it actually feels good.
0-3 Ys: Most of the time you don’t hesitate to think for yourself. Your friends might respect you for being independent and whether you know it or not, you could be inspiring others to think for themselves, too.
If you’re a t(w)een and you took the quiz, I’d love to hear from you. Post any comments or questions below. Or if you’re the parent of a t(w)een, I’d like to hear from you too!