Yesterday I expanded my Annoyance Challenge exploration by emailing a survey to one hundred tweens and teens. The topic: annoying behavior at school. Here are the six straight-forward questions.
- At school what things annoy you? (Lots of details please but no names!)
- When someone’s behavior annoys you, what do you usually do about it?
- At school, what do you sometimes do that annoys OTHER PEOPLE? (whether you mean to or not)
- At school, what do you sometimes do that annoys YOU?
- How have you tried to change your own behavior so that it’s less annoying to others or yourself?
- If someone else’s annoying behavior didn’t get to you so easily, how would school be different?
So far I’ve heard back from twelve students. I’m thinking 12% teen response to a random email questionnaire is pretty good. This may indicate either that the topic of annoyance is a hot one and they’re eager to vent or that even though school’s only been out for a week, they’re already bored and willing to reply to anything that wafts into their IN Box. Maybe it’s a little of each. Anyway, I’ve already gotten some really interesting answers. I’ll be sharing the results over the next several days.
In the meantime, if you’ve got a 10-14 year old in your house and you can manage to get them to respond to these questions (anonymously, of course) I’d really appreciate it. They can email me here. If they’re not up for it, that’s cool. I certainly don’t want to annoy anyone!